SC - Re: Comfort food

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Aug 23 00:56:36 PDT 1999

> Håkan Hedrén wrote:
> > Platina:            On Right Pleasure And Good Health
> <snip>
> > Apicius:           Cookery & Dining In Imperial Rome
>
> With regard to Platina and Apicius: I note you have listed the name of
> the author of the original source, but titles indicating specific
> translations. Do I gather you mean Millham's translation of "De Honesta
> Voluptate et Valetudinae", and Vehling's translation of  Apicius' De Re
> Coquinaria? If so, I highly recommend the Millham translation of
> Platina, but advise against sinking any substantial sum into Vehling's
> Apicius.

> Adamantius

Along this line, various translations of Apicius have been discussed
here on this list. For some more comments and discussions, check this
file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of my Florilegium:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (38K)  4/21/99    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****