SC - Questions about Archives and Carrots

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 07:37:40 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/19/99 11:30:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmagnew at hotmail.com writes:

<< Is there a something with which you can
 "gild" or make golden looking a cooked goose? >>

Another technique not involving gold or silver sheets or dust, which I used
for a boar's head at my first SCA Twelfth Night 16 years ago, is simply to
use beaten egg yolk. Beat the yolk thoroughly with a little water and brush
over the bird or whatever. Return to heated oven for a couple of minutes
until set being careful not to brown the yolk. Sometimes you may have to put
several coats on to get the look you seek. Use a soft bristled brush so you
don't tear the previous covering when applying fresh material. Better yet use
a feather to apply the egg yolk. Sometimes the heat from the meat cooks the
coating nicely without it having to be returned to the ovens.

Ras