SC - Cuskynoles

Mon Aug 23 07:31:24 PDT 1999

Ostgardr regularly includes smoked whiting at late-winter feasts (partly
that's because we have access to the Brooklyn Terminal Market where many
miraculous things can be had at reasonable prices).

At the first (and so far only) feast I cooked, we served fish with an
egredouce sauce.  Frozen filets for convenience, whatever they had in bulk
at the Price Club.  We'd intended to fry them but due to kitchen
limitations we baked them instead.  I aimed at one small filet per person,
because this was as part of a 9-dish feast and portions of each individual
dish were kept small.  Egredouce is a godly sauce--it can be made ahead of
time, canned if necessary, goes well with a variety of meats, and reheats
like a dream.)

I've also seen mussels in a spiced broth served at an event, unfortunately
one mussell had a baby crab INSIDE the mussel...one of the scary-looking
crabs not a typically eaten crab--and a scientifically-fascinated server
wandered around showing it to everyone.  Her presentation kind of killed my
appetite for the dish that day...

Emme