SC - This is getting insane.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Aug 23 14:48:34 PDT 1999

Bear said:

>On a more whimsical note, we could bake a pepper-shaped and pepper-colored
bread loaf spiced with Piper nigrum and replace the bell pepper altogether.

Ah, now that's more to my liking!

Seriously, though, it's not the bitterness of the pepper I object to- I like
many bitter and sour foods, including black coffee and lemon. Also, I have
tried bell peppers fresh from the garden, in several stages of growth. There
is just something about the flavor of bell peppers I can't stand, which is
not in the "hot" peppers, including the mild hot ones such as poblanos or
"sweet" banana peppers. My mother thinks it's because of the horribly
over-peppered spaghetti sauce her friend Pat fed me when I was about 2 or 3-
I know my dislike of artificial flavorings, paticularly cherry, stems from
the flavored cough medicines etc I had to have as a child.

I'm wondering- is there any chemical, or combination of chemicals, which are
in much greater abundance in the bell peppers , than in the hot ones?
There's a whifff of that taste in the hot ones, but not enough to be
objectionable......

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio