SC - ooc: Quilts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 23 23:25:41 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> We have talked about stuffed breads here before. Are there any other
> stuffed items (other than meats) in the medieval corpus? Were fruits
> stuffed and baked? What about onions? Ok, I do see stuffed aubergines
> in "The Original Medieval Cuisine". Stuffed cabbage perhaps?

Rastons are stuffed loaves, then there are stuffed eggs, but I'm not
really aware of many period stuffed vegetable dishes, except one which
does come to mind (and it's only barely period): To Farse a Cabbade for
a Banquet Dish, which, in brief, is a whole cabbage with the leaves
teased apart somewhat, the center cut out, and stuffed with boiled egg
yolks, bread crumbs, prunes, raisins, raw eggs, salt, pepper, cloves and
mace, optional sausage (probably smoked) and all wrapped up and boiled
in beef or mutton broth.

>From "The Second Part of the Good Hus-wives Jewell", Dawson, 1597. And
yummers, too, BTW.

It's been theorized by Elisabeth Luard, in "The Old World Kitchen" that
the rolled stuffed cabbage many of us know is a Northern European
adaptation of turkish dolmades, with cabbage substituting for grape
leaves. She also feels lefse are another Turkish import to Scandinavia:
apparently a 17th-century Swedish prince (whose name escapes me just
now) was out of favor and went to the Turkish Court in hopes of amassing
enough cash to raise an army to take his rightful place on the throne.
What he acquired instead was a slew of debts, and when he went home (he
was forgiven, more or less) his Turkish creditors (and their cooks) went
with him, in the hopes of sharing in his good fortune. Hence lefse from
lavosh and kaldomar from dolmades.

Not necessarily water-tight, but interesting.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com