SC - Icelandic chicken. and sources.

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 09:41:55 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/24/99 12:05:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< What would have been properly served at a feast for Magnus VII, King of
 Norway and Sweden, slightly predating Richard II of England?

 Bear

Since I have no cookery manuscripts which cover that specific time and place,
I have no idea what would have been served. Neither does anyone else to my
knowledge. Such a feast then would not be recreated in my kitchen. Others may
have the texts to create such a feast from. If so they would be the most
logical people to ask for the information.

The gist of my previous post was that we have manuscripts to work from. So
many in fact that I find it hard to conceive why anyone would want to go
outside what we know and reproduce a feast based on conjecture. Of course, if
someone does do this then they would have to state on the menu that it was
based on conjecture and guess work. If it is made clear that the feast is not
an attempt at authenticity from known sources of RECIPES then I have no
problem if someone wants to do that type of feast. I, personally, would not
do so nor would I encourage anyone else to do it.

Ras