SC - Lefse/hleifr

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Aug 24 13:37:03 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Laura C. Minnick <lcm at efn.org>

Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:
>> Question,  I was given a bite of Icelandic chicken by camp crooked cat
behind
>> us.  I understood the recipe to be a chicken breast wrapped in bacon then
>> pastry.  Was it then boiled?  Was the chicken pre cooked?

I´ve already posted the versions from the Icelandic (Codex D) and Danish
(Codex K) and Thomas posted the Low German version (W). None of them says
anything about precooking. Here is the other Danish version, Codex Q - it
specifies raw chicken:

"Mæn sculæ skæræ et raat høøns ændæ lang syndær oc takæ hwetæ deegh oc gøræ
thæræ af en flathæ. oc skæræ smath flæsk i oc læggæ salui blath allæ helæ.
co malæn pipær oc salt oc windæ thet høøns i thæn deegh swa ath thæt ær alt
helt vtæn. oc latæ thæt bakæ æm mykæt sum ant brøth."

My translation:

One shall cut a raw chicken in two lengthwise and take a flour dough and
make a plate thereof and cut lardons small into it and lay on it whole sage
leaves  and ground pepper and salt and wrap the chicken in it so it is
completely covered, and bake as much as other bread.

Nanna