SC - unknown spice purchased at war.

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 14:20:27 PDT 1999

Its seems to me, having just reentered the heated broth between these two
rockem sockem cooks is that we need to create a balance between the "feed me"
fighter and the middle ages gourmet while maintaining the budget for a feast.

First, I am a fighter, scout, illuminator, cook, etc.

So, I can appreciate the hunger that a fighter needs.

Second, I am a gourmet, so I am willing to try new things.  As I learned this
year Haggis is not bad.  I also learned not to tell my wife and daughter
about how to make it either while eating supper.  Believe me, big mistake.

Third, I love to cook and have done feasts.  SO I have some appreciation of
what it takes to cost effectively create a feast.

SO, If your event will have lots of fighters with that need for raw meat and
oop potatoes.  Give them something, period, but recognizable to them.  Since
feeding them your best meat course is expensive in this course try a meat pie
with a sauce {gravey} or a period ravioli.  Perhaps an Icelandic Chicken or a
Lombard Chicken.  Also Makes a Good first impression for the non fighters
also.

As the courses, continue, sneak in some more typical period dishes that will
widen their palette.  As we all know from War Ruffage is your friend.  Work
on veggies here.  Parsnips and turnips with onion or leaks.

Yes, we continue widening the palette with each feast.  But we must always
remember that we will have newbies or those that appreciate double wooppers
with cheese as a food group rather than out best haggis.

I really want to try a castle with delicts at my next feast.  Yes, I want to,
but costs are a factor I must always address.

Frederich.