SC - White Sals

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 24 14:38:40 PDT 1999

> "Alderton, Philippa" wrote:
> >
> > Ras mistakes me for Bear by quoting:
>
> Oh, sorry. I thought it was someone mistaking Ras for Bear...

What a cruel thought!  You wound me, Master A.

> > >Hopefully not. The feasts we seek to recreate are for the most part
> fine
> > dining at it's best. Years of work has been done to educate the typical
> SCA
> > person regarding actual period feasts. The documentation of cheap and
> > filling
> > food does not necessarily mean that those foods were ever served at
> feasts.
>
> I'm pretty sure this was Ras, anyway...

Sounds like him.

Let's face it, the documentation of food, cheap and filling or not, does not
mean that that food was ever served at a feast.  Unless there is a menu or a
description which places a dish at feast, then using the dish in an SCA
feast is CONJECTURE.

Which brings up some questions.  Which dishes can be positively demonstrated
to be feast fare?  Of those, how many would have been considered inexpensive
and filling then?  How many are inexpensive and filling now?

> > We need to consider budget as well as desired recipes. If we want to
> provide
> > the exquisite for those who can appreciate it, we also need to provide
> the
> > inexpensive bulk for those who feel they need it. I'm really not into
> trying
> > to fill up the starving hordes on, say, the 1 oz of caviar my budget
> migh
> > allow me.
> >
> > Phlip

What were the bulk items for a Medieval feast?  My first choice has always
been bread, but perhaps I'm blinded by my art.

> Another consideration which might bring this to a discussion of apples
> versus apples is the fact that what we consider to be cheap and filling
> (the two sort of go together, since if a food is cheap enough you can
> eat enough for it to be filling) is not necessarily what would have been
> considered cheap and filling at a period feast, even if the diners
> and/or hosts _were_ looking for such a thing. Think of chicken, deadly
> or otherwise, f'rinstance.
>
> If I am understanding what's happening here, Phlip is speaking of
> inexpensive foods for practical SCA applications, while Ras is saying,
> in part, that period people at a feast might not especially want
> something inexpensive. Possibly, but then, think of chicken. Deadly or
> otherwise ;  ) .
>
> Adamantius

Avoiding Dave Thomas and the Deadly Bom--ah Chicken and with some previous
repetition, we consider apples versus apples (interesting choice for bulking
up a meal), which appears to be the conundrum of providing expensive food
with a slack purse .

>From experience, I can say three kinds of cold, congealed frumenty doesn't
cut it.  My bread does well, but the documentation is limited.  The
Sagacious Oracle of the East croaks "Think of chicken."  Having been served
this as a rare treat (?), I tend to think, "Salmonella."

So Font of Wisdom in New Amsterdam (sorta), or any other font of wisdom for
that matter, what recipes should we seek to make plebian food patrician, be
it Malus or Gallus, while maintaining purse and period?

Bear