SC - Lefse/hleifr

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Aug 25 06:16:44 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 24 Aug 99,, that LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> The shish kebabs I did were marinated in pomegranite juice concentrate,
> olive oil, ground dried thyme, a bay leaf, and some chopped garlic in a
> jar as I didn't have the fresh cloves.
[snip]
> Bridgit said she had used the fresh pomegranite juice

Actually it was bottled, not fresh.  However, it was plain juice, not syrup
or a concentrate.

> from a local store near her home,

An ethnic grocery, which, to judge by its stock, is patronized mostly by
Russian-Jewish immigrants.  I found it very useful when I was cooking a
Russian feast -- hard-to-find ingredients and cheap kasha...

> but it tasted the way she remembered it should.

In retrospect, I think your dish -- which was delicious -- was more
intensely flavored than mine.  I don't know if this is due to the
pomegranate being a concentrate, or a longer marinating period or what.

>  Her recipe came
> from an ethnic Russian cook-book, but it is the same type as a number of
> meat and marinade combinations--acid liquid, frequently with a fruit
> flavor, and herbs and seasonings.

The recipe called for a small quantity of black pepper, which Allison
omitted for health reasons.  I did not notice a difference in taste.

>I want to try it here at home with some
> other meats, a variety of seasonings, and the charcoal.

I have tried it on beef and enjoyed it.  I rarely eat pork, but suspect that
it would go well, as pork is often harmonious with fruit flavors.

> Allison
> allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
> Kingdom of Aethelmearc

Brighid