SC - Re-Missing Digests

Nelson.Beth Nelson.Beth at EPCRA.org
Wed Aug 25 06:48:37 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 25 Aug 99,, that Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> A fairly rough translation of the bread recipe is as follows:
[snip]
> Then add some sourdough to the flour; as the bread one bakes with
> sourdough is always more healthy than the sweet, especially  for the
> common man in these lands.
[snip]

> As I said, this is a quick and rough translation and any comments are
> very welcome.

Nanna,

Thank you for the recipe!  Being a bread-baker and -lover, it is a
frustration to me that there are no period recipes for bread.  I do have
one question -- what kind of starter would be used?  Would it be wheat-
based or rye-based?  Or something else?  From what I have read in the
FAQ for rec.food.sourdough, and elsewhere, rye starters are common in
northern Europe.  I have a nice healthy wheat starter, and could easily
convert part of it to rye.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)