SC - fancy feasts vs. simple feasts

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 08:47:13 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Decker, Terry D. <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
To: 'sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG' <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 09:38
Subject: RE: SC - Lefse/hleifr

>As a final comment, the way I read this, the rye referred to is the grain
>and the flour is rye flour.  No other flours or grains are mentioned.  This
>matches the historians opinion that rye was the common grain of the north.
>Since this is a cook book for households, it suggests that other grains,
>such as wheat, may have been expensive or difficult to obtain.  If there
are
>other recipes in the cookbook which use different flours, it may be that
>other grains were just hard to find.  If no other flours appear in the
>cookbook, then prohibitively expensive is a strong contender.
>
>Thank you for putting this within my grasp.
>
>Bear

for those intrested, there is a copy of the Domostroi in english now, and
lists alt, rye, wheat and oats as grains avaliable in the time of Ivan the
Terrible. Granted that's right at the end of period, but considering that
it's Russian it's probably a bit behind the times.

I got my copy at Half Price Books:

"The Domostroi: Rules for Russian Households in the Time of Ivan the
Terrible", edited and transated by CArolyn Johnston Pouncy, Cornell
University Press, Ithaca and London, 1994

Has 2 ISBN's: cloth; alk paper 0-8014-2410-0
                         pbk; alk paper  0-8014-9689-6

It also has chapters on feast foods, and two chapters of "recipies" on
drinks and maily veggie dishes.

Anya

Anastasiia Iliianovna Kiianin