SC - Sharing an even announcement...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Aug 27 23:26:56 PDT 1999

Nanna gave us this lutefish recipe from the cookbook she is working on:

> Unfortunately, this recipe is one of the more vague in the book - the name
> is actually "spidfisk", i.e. spitted fish, which I take to mean fish dried
> on a spit.
>
> Spidsfisk
>
> Let it soak overnight in water and lye. But if you need it quick, then bring
> it to the boil in water mixed with mild lye, then warm the fish up again in
> fresh water.

Quick lutefish? I thought the whole idea of making lutefish was to
preserve it for later use and that the lye taste was just tolerated.
Does this indicate that some folks *liked* the taste of the preservation
technique, much as we often still lightly smoke or salt meats and fish
not as a true preservative but because we like the taste?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****