SC - fresh lutefish?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Aug 28 05:01:51 PDT 1999

Okay, my one cooking related anthro story.

While in Russia for an excavation, toward the end of the dig, we still
had this bag of flour we had not touched. We had lots of sugar (good
barter item out in the boonies there), salt, some oil. Trying to think
of what I could do with the flour without much more in the way of other
ingredients, it suddenly dawned on me these were the standard
ingredients for "Indian" fry bread (from the flour, salt, sugar and lard
the Dept of Interior would ship to the reservations to replace the
normal diet of a nomadic people....). A perfect 'cultural exchange'  As
soon as I started forming the bread, the Russians in the crew grabbed
cameras and took pictures (why, I don't know...). Lacking a compariable
word, they called them 'blini' (wasn't I just talking about somethings
not translating well....?). They were well received. Odd thing is, I
don't like fry bread.

Seumas
- --
James F. Johnson