SC - OT- Slugdom

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Aug 28 06:33:59 PDT 1999

Dear Gentles and Rude Mechanical's on said list,

I am planning on beginning to make cheeses of all types, specializing
hopefully in period types and methods.  In looking at Stephan's files and
elsewhere on the net, I have seen a couple books mentioned.  Can anyone give
their opinions on these or where to begin.  Please note that unfortunately
Raw Milk is not available. I grew up on raw Guernsey and understand what real
cream is.  I do a lot of sheep farmers in area. Oh how does one milk a ewe
(besides carefully). What regulations are there concerning using raw milk?
Does it still need to be pasteurized prior to making cheese, or can it be
done afterwards.  Are there Places to purchase Raw milk, or at this point in
my craft it won't make a difference.

I have found the New England Cheese Supplier on the net.  Are there any local
places to Mansfield, Ohio (half way between Cleveland and Columbus Ohio)
Is it true that say Joann fabric cheese clothe does NOT work for cheesemaking?

The book titles that I have found interesting are:

Cheese Making Made Easy
Ricki Carrol, Contributor, Robert Carroll
ISBN 0882662678

And

Lost Arts:  A cooks guide to making Vinegar, curing Olives, Crafting Fresh
Goat cheese and simple Mustards, Baking Bread and Growing Herbs

Lynn Alley
ISBN 0898156742

Any other suggestions.

Frederich