SC - AWK!

Timothy a Whitcomb freyja1 at juno.com
Sat Aug 28 10:42:33 PDT 1999

In a galaxy far, far away (and several years in the past)  we owned a dairy goat
herd.  We milked twice a day, by hand, and never had a problem.  I kept most of
does and sold the bucks, hand feeding all the babies.  We had milking stands my
husband made out of lumber where you put the goat's head through one end so
their head is above a box holding some sweet feed to keep their
attention...goats will do most anything for sweet feed.  It helps to have warm
hands and you gently punch the udder like a kid would do to help the milk "let
down".  Never had a problem with a goat withholding her milk.  I personally
think it helps if they have been hand fed from birth.  We ordered all our
supplies from a place called Caprine Supply and I think I vaguely remember some
kind of mechanical milking device (although I am getting older and they say the
memory goes first)... you can also order all the vaccines, milking supplies (if
you want a fresh sweet tasting milk you need to use stainless steel and make
sure it is sterilized) and cheese making supplies, as well as books.    Your
county agricultural agency can also help with answers sometimes.  If you decide
to raise any goats yourself and need help, just e-mail me.  I'm good for some
advice on the animals and the cheese making.

Isabella