SC - Re: Tudor House Plans bribes

Badger bagbane at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 29 09:04:41 PDT 1999

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/28/1999 7:45:12 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> Tollhase1 at aol.com writes:
>
> << So you mean blintzes.  I like mine with sour cream and blueberries. >>
>
> Still not quite. . .the blini I have had were made with a buckwheat flour and
> were not noticeably sweet.  They were served on a plate by themselves with
> the sour cream and caviar availible to dip the blini in or, as some people
> did, put a thin layer of caviar with a thin layer of sour cream on them and
> then roll.  As i said they are pretty unique. . .

I agree, to a point. Blini and blintzes are probably similar in that
they're both pancakes, and probably derive from the same word, which
probably just means "pancakes", but there the resemblance really does end.

Blintzes are usually an eggy, crepe-y pancake, similar to canneloni, and
generally made with lightly beaten egg as the only leavening.

Blini are usually made with both yeast _and_ beaten egg yolks and
semi-stiff beaten egg white folded in at the end, so they're quite a lot
higher or thicker, and less dense, than blintzes. They'd be impossible
to roll up as they usually are, since they're so thick, if it weren't
for their inherent sponginess and a near-soaking in melted butter
traditionally applied before the sour cream, caviar, etc.

Blini are also generally _much_ smaller than blintzes, perhaps two or
three inches across, in my experience. You don't roll them up and tuck
in the ends as you might with a blintz, more often you fold it either in
quarters, or, as with a cornmeal "hard" taco, just over the filling.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com