SC - Anthro and cooking

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 21:17:01 PDT 1999

> You mentioned leftover walnuts and it made me think of the leftover
 almond crumbs left from making almond milk. I'm thinking of the stuff
that  is strained out of the almond milk solution after your mix the
ground  almonds in the water or broth. The liquid becomes the almond
milk, but what  do most folks do with the almond crumbs or mash? I think
there are some  period recipes that use this mash. Can this be used for
marchepane? Seems a waste  to throw this out, especially for a large
feast.
 Lord Stefan li Rous

Having just recently made almond milk from scratch, I am here to tell you
that the only thing I left in that batch of ground almonds was the
dietary fiber.  I milked them 'til they screamed.  There was absolutely
no flavor left in it when we were done, after about 5 runs.  One of the
ladies in the household took it home and was going to use it as
scrubby/pumice in homemade soap.
It was great almond milk, though, as well as almond cheese (the oils and
the solids from the almonds help it congeal.)
Christianna