SC - icelandic chicken redaction.

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Mon Aug 30 18:20:25 PDT 1999

Seems to me, I owe someone a recipe.  Here it is.

Bear

Finnish Cardamom Bread (makes 2 loaves)

2 teaspoons dry active yeast
2 cups warm water
1 egg
6 or 7 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup soft butter of margarine

Dissolve the yeast in the water.  Let cream.
Add the egg.
Sift 3 cups flour, sugar, cardamom, and salt together.  Stir into the yeast
mixture.  Continue stirring until the batter is smooth.
Stir in the butter or margarine.
Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.  Turn out on a lightly floured
surface.
Knead until smooth and elastic.
Place the dough in an oiled bowl.
Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
Punch down the dough.
Divide the dough.  Shape into 2 round loaves.  Place on greased baking
sheet.
Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
Bake at 400 F for 40 to 50 minutes.  Cover the loaves with aluminum foil
after 30 minutes to keep the crust from getting dark.