SC - icelandic chicken redaction.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Aug 30 18:53:19 PDT 1999

(The Forme of Cury   1378)
TO BOIL PHEASANTS, PARTRIDGES, CAPONS AND CURLEWS

Take good broth and do thereto Fowle and do thereto whole peper and flower of
canel a gude quantity and let them seeth therewith and mix it forth and then
cast thereon sweet aromatic  powder.

MY REDACTION
(OK, left to my own devices, I tend not to measure anything....)
Put a chicken in a large stock pot and cover well with water.
Add coursely ground peper.
Stir some canel flour into the water.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for about an hour or so.
Take out the bird  (It should fall apart) and sprinkle on  a bit of ground
ginger, a bit of cinamon.

QUESTIONS:
What is canel flour?
What is a curlew?