SC - Freezing bread dough, was Healthy cooking

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Mon Aug 30 23:16:03 PDT 1999

>My good lord husband recently gifted me with the book SEVEN CENTURIES OF
>ENGLISH COOKING: A Collection of Recipes by Maxime de la Falaise.
>This is from the back of the book.
>Phillipa

I'm not sure of your question. Are you asking about the reliability of these
statements from the book? (This book is one of the dinosaurs of historical
cookery works; many years ago, when it came out, it was ground-breaking in
reconstructing past cuisine, but today is long out of date in reliability
and authenticity -- although I must admit some of the recipes still taste
nice.) When she wrote it, exotic spices were unavailable, and I suspect she
was simply guessing. Today all of the genuine articles are readily available
(we sell them, for example. And our powder forte and powder douce are made
to actual 14th century Italian recipes. [PS We do have powder douce now, and
I'll be getting it onto the web-catalogue in a day or two].)

>CUBEBS
>A mixture of black peper and alspice can replace the taste of cubebs.

Not very close. Get the real thing.

>SAUNDERS
>A red coloring made from powdered sandal wood.  Use of cochineal, carmine,
or
>red food coloring.   I don't like any of these options.

Saunders is "red sandalwood", a completely different species from the normal
white sandalwood familiar to head-shop patrons.

>POUDER-FORTE
>A mixture of dried chives, mace and pepper

I have no idea where she gets the chives from.

>POWDER DOUCE
>A blend of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and peper

A little closer, though there are actual authentic recipes available.

Francesco Sirene
David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net
partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / sirene at silk.net
Visit our Website at http://www.silk.net/sirene/