cassia buds; was SC - questions: TO BOIL PHEASANTS

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 31 05:07:57 PDT 1999

David Dendy wrote:

> Actually, it is neither. "Flower of canel" is cassia buds -- the 'flower'
> bud of the cassia/cinnamon tree (similar in appearance to cloves). The idea
> that for some reason canel/cassia/cinnamon ground up was referred to as
> "flour/flower", when all other spices ground up were powders, is something
> perpetrated by early translators of cookery books, who were not very
> familiar with spices, and didn't know that cassia buds were a popular spice
> in period Europe.

Hmmmm... I know Taillevent specifies cassia buds as a necessary kitchen
ingredient. I was under the impression, though, that canel referred to
true cinnamon, while cassia is not. You certainly introduce a
possibility, though.

As for the flower discussion, you may be right, but I believe I've seen
references to "flour" of pepper, and of cloves. Of course one might
argue that cloves are as qualified to be called flowers as cassia buds
are, but pepper?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy