SC - ENGLISH COOKING: A Collection of Recipes by Maxime de la Falaise

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 05:58:27 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/31/99 2:02:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cclark at vicon.net
writes:

<< So I'm inclined to doubt that saunders is sandalwood, and suspect that this
 is just one of those things that some food history writers pass around among
 themselves without checking their facts. Are there any botanists or spice
 experts around here to provide further information? >>

Saunders is sandalwood ground up. Red saw dust Santalum album produces yellow
aromatic wood which is used in the production of incense and
cabinet/ornamental carving.

Saunders is produced from a red dyewood that is not very aromatic. This red
wooded sandalwood is what we use in medieval cookery to produce color in
various dishes. My sources do not indicate if it is an actual member of the
Santalaceae family.

Ras