SC - Stuffed food in Period (was bell pepper thread)

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Tue Aug 31 08:06:32 PDT 1999

Hey all from Anne-marie...

Ras sez:
>The origin of the word flower and flour is identical so I fail to see how
>pieces is more logical than ground especially when such an interpretation
>confuses the recipe rather than clarifying it. Consider that one of the
>definitions of flower itself is 'a finely divided powder. With all the
>evidence in hand, I would still go with finely ground cinnamon (e.g.,
flowers
>of cinnamon) unless more substantial evidence is forthcoming.

interestingly, Taillevent calls for "fleur de cassia". James Prescotts
translation interprets this as cassia buds, which are available from
Francesco as well as from WorldSpice. Thorvald/James told me that he tried
the recipe with the dried buds and it was yummy, albeit less cinnamon-y
than if you used the flour of cassia, ie ground cinnamon.

I personally think its very rude of those Mssr Taillevent to use that
particular term and not tell us what he meant. Hmph.

- --AM, who got the cookbooks unpacked first after her move this weekend :)