SC - Cooking guild potlucks throughout year.

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 14:10:59 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 31 Aug 99,, that Decker, Margaret wrote:

>  snip
>
> >   Before I can post the recipe in question, I usually have to translate
> >   it first.  Please bear with me if  there's a delay.
> >
>  On behalf of all of us lurking on this list who can't even manage
> 15th century English, let alone any other language, THANK YOU.

You're welcome.  I am very grateful to those who share their extensive
knowledge of culinary history and techniques, and those who inspire me
to strive for greater authenticity in my cooking.... and those who gather
together valuable information in books and on websites...  and those
who share delicious recipes... and those who make me laugh out loud
over my morning oatmeal.

> We will be very patient or try to be with you and everyone else who so kindly
> translates and gifts us with those translations.
>  Margarite

I have not felt that anyone on this list was ever impatient with me.  I just
wanted people to realize that when I say, "I have a late-period Spanish
recipe for..." what I usually mean is that I'm staring at a photocopied
page in 16th century Spanish.

On the bright side, my culinary vocabulary is really growing.  My lord
husband and I went to a Spanish restaurant for our anniversary last
week, and I was very pleased at how much of the menu I could read.
You know, I could be a lot more helpful to the Spanish-speaking patrons
at my library if they wanted lentil soup or shrimp in garlic sauce instead
of magazines and car repair manuals.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)