SC - Recipe databases

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Tue Aug 31 17:12:55 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/30/99 10:10:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Seton1355 at aol.com writes:

<< My good lord husband recently gifted me with the book SEVEN CENTURIES OF
 ENGLISH COOKING: A Collection of Recipes by Maxime de la Falaise.
 This is from the back of the book. >>

Be very careful with this book.  While she is much more scrupulous about
listing the source, and often includes the original recipe, she makes a lot
of substitutions, omissions, and additions in her modern versions.  As an
example, she has a recipe entitled "Green pea soup with onions" or some such,
which she interprets as a green pea soup with sauteed onions and *green
beans*.  The original she's working from is Longe wortes de pesoun, which is
a pea soup with chopped up greens and onions.  Apparently she decided that
"wortes" were green beans and didn't realize that green beans weren't used in
European cookery at the time of this recipe.  She also adds an egg binder and
a variety of spices unnamed in the original to her "hedgehogs or yrchuns"
recipe.
I find the book mostly useful for the originals, and occasionally for cooking
techniques or times, but compare the original and modern versions very
carefully, and don't expect her to have followed the original closely.

Brangwayna Morgan