SC - Dulce de leche, the ultimate digest

Erin Kenny ekenny at istar.ca
Tue Aug 31 17:34:29 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Why did you promise such a thing? Dewars is not a good scotch, IMO. It is
> over priced and watered down to the point that the Pepsi crowd finds its
> washed out flavor pleasant because they don't have to think about it. It is
> not even 100 per cent  blended scotches. A good portion of the blend is
> citrus alcohol.

No blended Scotch is 100% blended Scotch, as far as I know. The original
blended whisky, Johnny Walker, was a small portion of potstill malt
whisky mixed with grain-derived alcohol. At least this is Johnny
Walker's claim at the annual tasting dinner I attend. One of the perks
of having to listen to all the Johnny Walker propaganda at these things
(not to mention tasting bad whisky along with good) is the chance to
taste the aged malt whiskys _before_ they get blended!

If it were a lot of single malt whiskys blended together, what would be
the point?

Dewar's is not especially watered nor unusually high in grain alcohol as
blends go. The difference is in the nature of the malt whisky that they
use, and these vary greatly from place to place according to malting,
mashing, and storage techniques. It's just a lighter whisky, which is
why I think a lot of not-very-serious Scotch drinkers like it. I
wouldn't start a neophyte out on Laphroaig, either.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com