SC - candied spices and other stuff

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 16:49:59 PDT 1999

- --- "Sharon R. Saroff" <sindara at pobox.com> wrote:
> I know I have asked this before, but I can't seem to locate the
> information
> in my files.  THere was a discussion on this list a while back
> concerning
> candied spices.  I have a recipe I want to use for candied spices
> from a
> middle eastern cookbook but I don't know how period it may be.  Any
> help would be appreciated.
> Sindara

According to _The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy_
(Odile Redon et al., Univ of Chicago Press 1998, ISBN 0-226-70684-2),
the closing of a meal with "epices de chambre" (parlor spices) or
"confetti" (same thing in Italy) was common, a regular part of any
feast.  They specifically mention candied coriander and ginger root.
They also say that from records it appears that these were generally
purchased already candied from the spice merchants, and so recipies
weren't included in collections.  So for France and Italy at least,
12-13-14th c., some candied spices are documented (I don't know which
of their extensive list of primary sources).  Hope this helps.

What spices do you have recipes for?

- -- Harriet