SC - candied spices and other stuff

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Aug 2 17:06:12 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 2 Aug 99,, that Sharon R. Saroff wrote:

> I am also looking for information as to the periodness of pudding using
> grains such as rice and wheat or using noodles.  I am particularly
> intersted in a middle eastern connection.  Could someone look up noodle
> kugel or rice pudding in "A Drizzle of Honey"?
>
> THanks in advance.
>
> Sindara

Is Spanish close enough?  Here are two recipes from the _Libro de
Guisados_ (1529) for ginestada, which is a pudding-like dish made with
rice flour, dates, and nuts.

GINESTADA (1)

Take rice and make flour of it and sift it through a hair sieve, and take
milk of goats or of sheep and if this is not to be found, take almond milk
and dissolve this rice flour in the almond milk or goat milk, in such a
way that it shall be quite clear and then set it to cook in the pot and into
the pot you shall cast these things: sugar and peeled dates and pine
nuts and whole, clean, blanched hazel nuts: and the dates cut into the
size of fingers, and cast all fine spices into the pot and stir it always
with a stick, and if you wish to make the ginestada white you may
make it thus; and likewise you may put cinnamon instead of sugar upon
the dishes, and seeds of sour pomegranates and it is necessary that
the pot should rest a little while before you prepare the dishes.

GINESTADA (2)

Take blanched almonds and remove the milk from them, and it would be
better with the milk of goats; and take the spices the night before which
are whole cinnamon and ginger and cloves, however everything, and put
them to soak in rosewater and then take for each dish two ounces of
rice flour and one ounce of sugar; and for five dishes take a pound and a
half of almonds; and then in the morning take the milk, and put it in the
pot where it must cook and cast in the flour little by little; and stirring it
always so that the flour does not become like plaster with the milk; and
so go to the fire with great care to cook; and when you see that it is half
cooked, take peeled almonds and cut them into four quarters, and take
dates, and cut them in the same manner; and pine nuts, and mix them
all together; and when the sauce is half cooked cast all this inside; and
then take a little saffron, and grind it well and dissolve it with a little
rosewater; and cast it in the pot, because this sauce should have a lot
of color, and leave it to cook a good while with all these things until it is
cooked; and let it be on a day of eggs, because you will take beaten
egg yolks, and when you want to remove the sauce from the fire cast
the yolks inside; but to be called ginestada there is no necessity for
eggs, and prepare dishes and cast sugar and cinnamon upon them.

notes: the second recipe comes from the Lenten chapter of the _Libro
de Guisados_, hence I assume that a "day of eggs" is one when the
religion fasting laws permitted the consumption of eggs.  Those who are
less than fond of saffron may wish to note that the first recipe is for a
saffron-free "white" ginestada, in contrast to the second recipe, which is
meant to be brightly colored.    I made the white version once in my pre-
diabetic days (with almonds to replace the hazelnuts I could not find) ,
and found it pleasant.  The nuts and the dates give a nice variety of
texture and flavor to what might otherwise be an overly bland dish.

Brighid
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann