SC - Welcome Uta

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 14:23:48 PDT 1999

As I get this list on the digest, I am just now getting to this.

Welcome, Uta.  I have not been to Visby since 1989 when
Thorgierr and myself brought our new son to enjoy the medieval
week.  We were so touched at the generosity and kindness of
Nordmarkers in general, and Styrinhamers in specific (I know
that I didn't spell that correctly, and I don't even know what
is correct).  Since we had a 6-week old infant, they felt that
we should not stay in the gym crash space with everyone else,
and assigned us to a house of a local gentle.  What fun!  We
brought mesquite chips from the PX in Germany, some duct tape,
some peanut butter, and some Dr. Pepper for the poor unfortunate
gentles from Sweden that had lived in the US as exchange
students, and had developed a taste for things that were
difficult for them to obtain.

I had volunteers to help me with the baby, to drive me to the
site, or around the island as needed, and to translate for me in
court.  I have not had a more wonderful time at any event
anywhere.  And i remember the feast as something phenomenal as
they opened with a fish course (of course, it was Nordmark) and
other very pleasing courses, and then had 3 different dessert
courses!  One was of fruit, one was gingerbread and cookies, and
one was the most marvelous cake I have ever seen produced by
Master Confecticus.  12 layers with buttercreme filling, in the
shape of a dragon's head.  And when it was presented, the Baron
was asked to finish the poor thing off as it was not quite dead,
and may be suffering.  He pulled his broadsword and sliced the
head from the neck, and it spurted grape jelly blood!  Aah, such
memories!!

And one more thing I remember.  The morning that we were
planning on leaving to return to the mainland and hence back to
Germany, our host and hostess treated us to a traditional dish,
handed down in each family, a little different from your
neighbor.  Saffron Pancakes!  Delicious!  (And I am sure Master
C that it is not a scribal error!)

Uta, if you just -happen- to have a recipe (as I lost the one I
was given) I would be extremely grateful if you would share it
with all of us here.  I know these people, and they will start
rioting if they think you are withholding a delicious recipe!

Please please please?

Hungrily,

Tyrca
===
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra