SC - My Pasta Salad

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 12:06:56 PDT 1999

- --- "Alderton, Philippa" <phlip at morganco.net> wrote:
> Harriet asks:
>> chicken instead of the krab stuff -- figure everything
>> else stays the same but the herbs.  What do I use instead?
Tarragon?
>> What else?
>
> I'd suggest the ever-popular poultry seasoning, as a default,
> although if it were me, I'd play with some of the better curry
> powders they have out now, or perhaps add a bit of horseradish as
> well.

Oooh, curry powder!  I may have thought of that eventually, but since
some certain unnamed members of the family object when I put just the
merest hint in devilled eggs or egg salad, not to mention the heresy of
a hint of curry in (otherwise) Mom's Chicken & Broccoli Cassarole.

I have heard lots disparaging your basic grocery store curry powder,
but what are the "better" ones, and where do I get them?  I'm
contemplating an order to Pennseys or Francesco Sirene (hi!), but I'm
not wild about mailordering a lot of stuff I'm unfamiliar with, nor
with putting in a tiny $8 order and paying $6 shipping.  Are there
better (than McCormick's) curry powders available in grocery stores?

Of course, what I really want is a local spice warehouse, and an
opportunity to sample tiny pinches of everything :-), since I'm
discovering sensitivities to spices other than pepper, now that I'm
trying more of them. :-(

- -- Harriet