SC - Harpestrengs-manuscript: Was: Re: Northern Foods

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Aug 5 13:56:30 PDT 1999

Adamantius wrote:
>I think this is a good example of Grewe's comments on skipping and
>juxtaposition. According to his paper, the Danish Codex K is supposed to
>have, I think, 25 recipes, of which the "spaek honer", or chicken with
>lardons, is recipe #22, and the "pulli in pastellis", a.k.a. Icelandic
>chicken, is a completely distinct recipe #24 in the same manuscript.

Yes, well, I guess I should have taken time to read the texts through ...

A few notes (and then I´ll not post any more on this until after you are all
back from Pennsic):

Recipes #1-11 are the same in both versions. The Danish version then has two
recipes that are missing from the Icelandic version (De salso ualente ad
quosdam pisciculos and De salso ualente ad tres dies et non amplius).
Recipes #12-19 in the Icelandic version are the same as recipes #14-21 in
the Danish version. Then the Danish version has the recipe I posted earlier
(the chicken boiled with sage and lardons); it is not in the Icelandic
version, which is why I mixed the recipes up. Recipes #20-22 in the
Icelandic version correspond to #23-25 in the Danish. And recipe #23 in the
Icelandic version is the only one which is not in the Danish manuscript; it
has instructions for making vinegar.

The correct Danish version of the "Icelandic Chicken" recipe goes like this:

"Quomodo condiatur pullus in pastello. Man skal et unct høns .i. tu skæræ oc
swepæ thær um helæ saluiæ blath. oc skær .i. spæk. oc salt. oc hyli thæt
høns mæth degh. oc latæ bakæ i en ogn swa sum brøth. Swa mughæ man gøræ allæ
handæ fiskæ pastel. oc fughlæ oc annæt køt."

One shall cut a young chicken in two and wrap around it whole sage leaves,
and cut in it lardons and salt, and cover the chicken with dough, and let
bake in an oven as bread. In this manner one can also make all kinds of fish
in dough, and birds and other meat.

Now I only need to find Codex Q as a comparision - but more on this later.

Nanna