Northern Foods was Re: SV: SC - Introducing Myself

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Aug 7 07:07:19 PDT 1999

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> > > "malvasir" (don´t know what that is)."
> >
> > I wonder if that's a reference to malvoisie or malmsey, which I believe
> > is a sweet, fortified wine similar to sherry and port. The Julebrods,
> > BTW, sound suspiciously like wafers, I'd say, based on their ingredients
> > and flat state.
> >

> > Adamantius
> >
> Interestingly, I purchased some for cooking a couple weeks ago.  The only
> malmsey available was an American Malvasia Bianca.  It is a sweet wine a
> slight acidic bite.  It is lighter than port or sherry and I don't believe
> it has been fortified.
>
> Bear

Lessee now...

You may be right;I'm not a wine authority. Andre Simon's _Concise
Encyclopedia of Gastronomy_ has a section on wines with the following
entry on malmsey:

"MALMSEY, MALVASIA

A sweet fortified wine made in Madeira, Cyprus, the Canary Islands and
other southern vineyards from the Malvasia grape, when available.

The popularity of thsi wine must have been great, in England, during the
latter part of the eighteenth century and the first half of the
nineteenth, to judge from the large number of English Wine Labels of the
period, in various collections, which bear its name, the spelling of
which appears to have been rather uncertain. The follwing renderings
occur: Malmsey, Malmslay, Malvoisie, Malvasia, Malmsly, Malmsey,
Madeira, Malvasia di Madera."

I notice that the word "Malmsey" appears twice in the list at the end; I
think this is some sort of typo, or at least ambiguously worded. It
probably should read "Malmsey, Madeira," or "Malmsey Madeira", as a
cognate of the latter "Malvasia di Madera".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com