SC - Cooking by "hand"

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 9 17:25:32 PDT 1999

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> When I am cooking creatively, I very seldom measure anything...
<snip>
> Cup your
> left palm, pour in enough salt to fill the hollow to the level experience
> teaches you.  I've measured it many times, and it is always exactly 1 tsp.
> Does anyone else have a reliable "hand" measurement that they use with
> consistency?

Yes and no. I do salt in my hand as you do, and sometimes spices. Other
things by the handful, like raisins or currants. Hanfuls of flour when
baking, because sometimes the balance is just one handfull when adjusting,
and too much (as from a measure) will make it dry. But some things I use
measure for, like baking soda/powder. Saturday a friend was over and I
made my Heretical Chili and Cornbread, and I couldn't find the teaspoon to
measure the baking soda. So I spooned it into my hand with a cereal spoon
until it looked 'right' and made do. The cornbread turned out perfect so
something must have worked...

I have always found that trusting my 'hand' (weight) and my 'eye' (volume)
was pretty accurate. Insticnt helps too.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731