SC - family values?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Aug 11 14:02:14 PDT 1999

Fiona wrote:
> best thing about places
like Vermont, don't need a permit to carry weapons,  >state with the
lowest murder rate in the lower 48

Best thing about places like Iceland:
no handguns
no assault weapons
permit required for all hunting guns
the police is unarmed
only one homicide every two years or so

>I agree, for a country that's supose to be "one nation under God"
>something has seriously gotten lost along the way

Maybe part of what has gotten lost is the ability to appreciate the simpler
pleasures of life. I´m somehow reminded of a poem called:

Ratatouille

Men who forget
Lovingly chopped-up cloves of ail, who scorn
The job of slicing two good peppers thinly,
Then two large onions and six aubergines -
Those long, impassioned and imperial purples -
Which, with six courgettes, you sift with salt
And cover with a plate for one round hour;
Or men who do not care to know about
The eight ripe pommes d´amour their wives have need of,
Preparing ratatouille, who give no thought to
The cup of olive oil that´s heated in
Their heaviest pan, or onions, fried with garlic
For five observant minutes, before they add
Aubergines, courgettes, peppers, tomatoes;
Or men who give no thought to what their wives
Are thinking as they stand beside their stoves
When seasoning is sprinkled on, before
A bouquet garni is dropped in - these men
Invade Afghanistan, boycott the Games
Call off their fixtures and prepare for war.

Douglas Dunn (Saint Kilda´s Parliament, 1981)

(The recipe works fine, too.)

Nanna