SC - OT: Persona development

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Thu Aug 12 13:34:31 PDT 1999

Oops I should have read the whole digest before responding :(
Ras also said <<A name is a very personal thing and is not given by others
but is a choice of
the individual. >>
This is something I've always found ironic, because so many people in
period would have been given names by others.  I doubt England's King
Edward called HIMSELF "Longshanks" but we know him as such.  And we
register a name when a document might have three spellings for one
name--and multiple names for one person.  Not to mention several people
with the same name!  (John the Smith...a perfectly medieval English name
and probably for more than one person...)  Eh, the modern world intrudes at
times.  And it's MUCH more humane than letting some poor soul get stuck
with an unforgettable name given by unkind people...

Lady Emme Atwatr
Attewater
Atwater
...hmmm can I register it and request that it never be spelled the same way
twice in one document?  :)