SC - early Irish -- doc.

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 10:34:04 PDT 1999

On 8/11/99 5:32 PM sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

>From:  meadhbh at io.com (maddie teller-kook)
>Sender:    owner-sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>To:    sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>There are no extant recipes from that time period. The only information on
>food stuffs is what archeologists have found in the bogs and other digs.
>Most of the recipes are just put together based on those finds.  As for
>Irish soda bread... it isn't period (baking soda wasn't available at that
>time).
>
>I've done irish feasts (can't help it considering my personal). I just make
>sure people understand that the recipes are not documeneted but the feast is
>being done to fit with the event theme (if that is the case). You can only
>do the best you can. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!
>
>Meadhbh

Ah, I have after all found Thora's compilation, the Dublin entries
include the following foodstuffs:

pork, beef, mutton/lamb, hare
chicken, wild goose
cod, ling, cockles, mussels, oysters, scallops
wheat, oats, barley, rye, Chenopodium album, Polygonum spp.
fava (Vicia faba L.), peas, wild celery, wild carrot (Daucus carota),
cabbage, turnips,                                 radishes
cherries, sloes, blackberries, hawthorn, apples, rose hips, elderberries,
rowanberries, strawberries, Vaccinium myrtillus
hazelnuts
poppyseeds, black mustard, fennel
rapeseed oil (Brassica campestris)

there are two items in her bibliography that specify Dublin, in short:

GF Mitchell / Archaeology & Enviroment in Early Dublin
and
Viking and Medieval Dublin, catalogue of exhibition

Cooking Night went well, I did two oatcakes and the testers were about
evenly split, 8-); and the soup the autocrat tried went over well, and
apparently came out differently from the last two times the baroness has
made it... if there's interest, I'll see about posting menu and recipes
in October, after the dust settles.

And yes, Gerek and I have finally remembered that British Isles "salmon"
is not even the same family (I think) as Pacific NorthWet salmon, but oh
well!  (too late for this year, I'm pretty sure)  What they call salmon
in Scotland and Ireland is more like what we'd call fresh-water trout?
Yes, no, sideways, somebody??  If so maybe we can get a step closer next
year, 8-).

Since Celtic isn't one of our areas, anybody know of any sources like
Thora's for Celtic, either lists on the Net or actual archaeological
sources (books)??

Thanks,
Chimene & Gerek