SC - idle thoughts are tools of the cook...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 19 04:10:39 PDT 1999

swbro at telis.org wrote:

> According to Scully, beef is warm and dry in the second degree and would
> never
> be roasted, only boiled, so as to alleviate its dangerous dryness.
>
> Eleanor d'Aubrecicourt

That's true. I assume he's getting that from "Tacuinum Sanitatis". On
the other hand, opinions vary about that somewhat (even from manuscript
to manuscript), and Taillevent refers to several equally dry meats being
roasted, provided they are parboiled first. The issue may be one of heat
(and boiling may alleviate this to some extent but in combination with
moderate dryness, who knows?) or simply a perceived grossness. The
Romans, for example, didn't eat roast beef, and few modern Italians do,
either, because the kind of beef that can be raised in Italy is not
especially conducive to that kind of treatment. That may have applied in
14th-century France as well. Not that any of this negates the medical
aspects, of course.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy