SC - Making Period "Barrels" for serving at Feasts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Aug 20 15:26:12 PDT 1999

Emme-
	I have one of those carboys, because I have one of those ceramic
water-crock things with the spigot on it. I made a cover for the carboy
out of some insulated (i.e. a layer of foil inside) window blind fabric.
Off-white, not too stand-outish, and I sewed straps around it for easy
portaging. Until I had to start using the cane I was able to carry it on
my back, even with 5 gallons of water in it, with a minimum of strain.
The insulated fabric helps keep the water cool on hot days and I've not
yet had it freeze even if there was a little ice in the bath basin.

'Lainie