SC - Lefse/hleifr

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Aug 25 15:18:20 PDT 1999

About the buttered bread reference:

I´ve been trying to find an English translation of the saga of Hakon the Old
(Haakon IV of Norway) - it is in the Flateyjarbók and written in the early
14th century, IIRC, but have been unsuccessful so far. My own translation of
the passage would be something like this:

"At this time the frosts were so great that all their drink froze and the
butter was so hard that the bread served to the king´s son couldn´t be
buttered; he always wanted to be with the king´s court, and everyone liked
him ... the king´s son was standing with the king´s men and was very cold.
He saw that some of the men first took a bite of the bread, then of the
butter. The boy took the butter and wrapped it in the bread ..."

I´m not really sure how to interpret this but two things are clear to me: 1)
the child´s bread was usually buttered 2) the adults were used to eat butter
with their bread - maybe not _on_ it, that is not clear from this passage -
but buttered bread was at least known to them.

Then there is this in Reykdæla saga:

"They ... found a man named Þorgeirr, who was called butter-ring. About him
it is said that he preferred butter and bread above all other food."

Same here - butter is eaten with bread but it is not quite clear if the
bread is actually buttered.

Nanna