SC - Pennsic Potluck

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Aug 27 23:40:08 PDT 1999

I asked:
> > In one of the food classes I was in at Pennsic, taught by Honour Horne-Jaruk
> > (Alizaunde, Demoiselle de Bregeuf) she said that haggis within out period
> > was the food of the nobility and was composed of dried fruit in the stomach
> > rather than the lights. She said that later on it became the food of the
> > lower classes and that was when the fruit was replaced by the organ meats
> > and lungs and such.

To which Adamantius replied:
<snip>
> I recall an early recipe for a haggis (presumably a faux haggis or some
> kinda warner) made from poached eggs. Another close approximation would
> be a fronchemoyle, again, a variant on the white pudding theme, boiled
> in a stomach sack.
>
> There are several English haggis recipes that are nearly
> indistinguishable from a white pudding recipe, generally involving
> breadcrumbs instead of oats (although even now some white puds do call
> for oats), with suet, cream, spices, and in some cases, I believe, fruit
> such as dried Raisins of Corance.

Ok, what is a fronchemoyle or even a white pudding?

> I don't know that I accept the idea, though, that haggis became a food
> of the lower classes; I guess that depends on what one considers lower
> classes. In Scotland, the farmers who butchered mutton and ate the
> innards that wouldn't keep well, and the nobles who hunted for various
> types of deer and made haggis from their innards, aren't what I'd call
> especially lower classes.

Ok. Do we have any haggis recipes from before 1600? Are these English
haggis recipes that you mention from before 1600?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****