SC - Danish cookbook

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 28 00:11:53 PDT 1999

Nanna said:

> Stefan wrote:
> >Well, I started out putting the comments and recipe for the bread in the
> >bread-msg file. However, since the table of contents has now been given
> >and hopefully will be followed with some more translated recipes, I've
> >decided to create a new file just for this. I don't have a file name for
> >this yet, though.
>
> Yes, and then there is the Harpestreng-manuscript - or manuscripts, rather,
> since I now have all three versions - which I had said I would translate.
> Hmm. Now the question is where to begin - and how to make it available to
> you. Should I post everything to the list, or what? Any suggestions, or
> comments?

I have saved a number of the messages from here in a file that I am working
on on this Harpstreng manuscript. Wow. All three versions? You have been
busy. I would not have thought you could gather all three this quickly.
I doubt you really want to post what would be three books worth to this list.
I would certainly be willing to consider a translation of these for the
Florilegium, although it would probably be even bigger than the master's
thesis on period shipbuilding that I have. Or were you thinking of this
Danish cookbook rather than the Harpestreng manuscript?

For the complete manuscript there may be better venues such as where
Greg Lindahl has been posting some period cookbook scans. However unless
there is some reason for exclusivity, I don't see why they can't be in
multiple places.

> >  (Interesting. Nanna's last name gets garbled when I see it in the From:
> >line of my digest, but when quoted like it was here by Anne, it comes
> >through just fine. I thought my problem was a character set thing, but
> >that is apparently not the case.)
>
> I have a mailing list of my own at ONElist and my last name is just as
> garbled in the From: line of my posts there. Any Icelandic characters I use
> in the body of the message are OK, though. I´ve just refused to change the
> spelling of my name to Rognvaldardottir to accommodate some dumb computers
> who don´t understand it ...

I have considered pasting your correct name into each message, but that is
a bit of work and I seldom have the correct spelling easily available. My
main concern is that you get the proper credit for the messages you have
posted. For now, I've just had to be content with your first name and email
address being correct.

Stefan

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net