SC - haggis

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 28 09:15:36 PDT 1999

  I called the photographer who is working on the book and she looked up the
haggis recipe I remembered.  The first date on it was 1594.  She looked
through the section that the recipe was from and yes there were several
others some just oats suet and leeks, some with organ meats and veggies, But
the one  spoke of has a note that seems to be atranslation of a note from
the 1594 addition, This appeared on a 1878 recopy. it said in effect that
this haggis had been served to a member of the English royal family on a
visit to his Scots hunting lodge, and that it was a sore wast of good
provider, as the person of royal birth had consumed enough to feed the
household for a week. I went down to her studio this morning to see this for
myself. There was also an added note that I copied and had my mother-in-law
see if she could translate,that said that this haggis was not a proper
haggis as it was designed to show the guest the wealth of the family and
proper haggis( I think this refers to the haggis made with oats, leftover
meat,leeks and broth. was a "goode fillen" for a honest hard working
Scotsman

  Lady Katherine McGuire