SC - What's a "redaction?"

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Sat Aug 28 12:48:15 PDT 1999

Mordonna writes:
><<
> - A revised version of a written work that brings it into conformity with
> some standardized format.>>
>
>This is exactly what I mean when I use the word redaction.  I do not change
>the original, or if I do it is only minimally due to unavailability of period
>ingredients.  I do however attempt to put the recipe into a more modern
>format (i.e. I use modern measurements, ...

You seem to be understating the amount of interpretive work that goes into
the so-called "redaction" of most period recipes. Most (in many recipes,
all) measurements, often some of the methods, and sometimes even some of the
specific ingredients, are not there to be edited. They are determined by the
modern cook and *added* to the recipe, thereby creating a new and more
precise recipe that is definitely *not* just an edited version of the
original. Sometimes errors in the period manuscript have to be corrected as
well. In many cases the modern interpretation of a period recipe contains
more information from the interpreter than from the period source.

Which brings up another reason to reform our usage of these words. In the
case of most of our modern interpretations of period recipes, billing them
as "redactions" is (when accurately understood) an extravagant and false
claim. Most modern versions of period recipes are far more than just edited,
and it would be disingenuous to persist in describing them as such. Why
should we not admit that many of our recipes were developed with much
interpretation from period sources that only provided very scant information?

We could still use the word "redaction" for those recipes whose period
sources indicated the measurements, methods, and ingredients. That would be
perfectly accurate and honest.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon