SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1592

John Page kdp at tiac.net
Sun Aug 29 05:35:53 PDT 1999

> period dark bread

try roasting half of the flour.  dunno if it's period -- my source is
family lore ("that's the way it's always been done") and a 1790(?? memory
fails) pamphlet hand-written by the groomsman for the groom (brothers)
instructing that the bride should not be interrupted, wait until the bread
is rising.  wishing now that I'd paid more attention to the cooking but 45
years ago sex was a lot more interesting than how a bunch of my ancestors
cooked.  I'm currently trying to locate the pamphlet, or its history, among
my sundry relatives.

> << What regulations are there concerning using raw milk?  >>
>
> For personal use? None.

Old rule of thumb (19th century) -- if raw milk hasn't been used in a day
either cook it or throw it away, used by some English, Swedish, and Russian
dairy farmers.

Sorry to have missed the feast at Pennsic; a prior commitment rudely
intruded.

Eithne