SC - Dulce de leche, the ultimate digest

Erin Kenny ekenny at istar.ca
Tue Aug 31 17:34:29 PDT 1999

Ana wrote:

<snipped lots of cool stuff>

> But still, how we call it, "manja", "manjar blanco", or "dulce de leche"
> or "dulce de cajeta", it seems to have their origin in an Arabic recipe
> taken to Spain during the Arabic domination of Spain.
<snip the recipe and stuff>

Wow!  I considered this message a birthday present (only a week late, Ana!
<grin>).  I have really missed manjar since coming home from Chile 11 years
ago.

For clarification, the brown caramelized stuff is called (at least in Chile)
manjar.  The "raw stuff" -- sweetened condensed milk -- is called both
"leche condensada" and "manjar blanco".  It would be silly to call the yummy
brown stuff "blanco".

Gee, as long as we're at it (and I know this is probably WAY off topic),
does anyone know how to make chorizos?

Claricia Nyetgale
 (on her way upstairs to make a decadent treat she has missed for 11 years)