SC - Recipe databases

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Tue Aug 31 20:06:30 PDT 1999

Ras and others,

> Since most Americans use American measures then American it should be with
> an
> option to use British. Also the standard format for recipes should be
> used.

One of the reasons I asked this is because what is standard to you is not
standard to me.  I am in Australia, standard for us is British measurements
and the metric system.  90% of my Aussie cookbooks give measurements in both
grams AND cups/spoons.  Hence my query as to how difficult it would be to
convert.

> This weight thing has gotten all blown out of proportion, IMO, and is
> really
> only necessary for baking. Changing the entire recipe format to weights
> would
> make the database completely useless to me and probably most others on the
>
> List.

So if we could swing it, providing both sets of measurements and stating if
it is US or British would cover just about everybody?  If Drake can do that
of course.

> Scaling up recipes has been discussed before and the reasons why so
> many have problems with it. If an eight of a tsp. is multiplied by 24, you
>
> get 1 tblsp, NOT a half an ounce. Dry is dry and liquid is liquid. Mixing
> the
> 2 causes the failures. If the program does a straight conversion then
> there
> will be no problems. If a person insists on converting 1 tbspn dry to a
> half
> ounce liquid then there will be problems.

Makes sense - thanks.

Meliora.