SC - Introduction

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Mon Aug 2 10:19:09 PDT 1999

 In comment to the below:

First, welcome.  And I like your "style"- educating though example.  Although I
am on this list, learning alot, enjoying the discussions and asking questions
now and then, authenticity is not a major concern for me. Someone recently asked
me if (after being in so long) I was a member of the "AP" - Authenticity
Police.  Why length of play would have anything to do with it is beyond me!  BUT
I thought about it and answered YES, I am a member of the AP - Ambiance Pack.
('Cause I really do not like the "word" Police)

For me it is the ambiance that I strive for and embrace.  When I teach, I teach
using documentation and always strive to teach fact over fiction, but when I
"play" - Ah, that is a different matter.  For the catch phrase "The Middle Ages
as they should have been" spells out my game.  If others want to play at a
"deeper" level, I encourage and applaud them.  I realize for many having a feast
in which potatoes and corn are served would actually RUIN the whole event.  For
ME: Corn is a problem, but not potatoes.  Why???  Can't really explain it.  I
guess I can "pretend" potatoes are turnips (which I hate cooked, but love raw),
but yellow corn just stands out to much.

For ME the best feast is made up of  "new strange dishes" combined with "regular

old stand-bys"  Using common to the time  (for those that hate the word
"period") ingredients, but whether the dish is authentic, redacted, whatever
makes no difference to me.  I attend feast for the company of my friends, to
gain nourishment and enjoy the ambiance of the whole affair.

As for the language of the SCA - feastocrat/feastcrat, removes, wench,
farspeaker, etc.  Just tell me what everyone votes is acceptable and I will use
that word.  Again - it makes no difference to me. When I studied Interpersonal
Communications in college it was pointed out to me that it is the RESPONSIBILITY
of the speaker, NOT THE listener to make sure the listener understands what is
being said.  When you speak you want to convey information to the listener.
Since you "want" to do this, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure it is done.
Because of this I use words that I am sure my listeners will understand.  IF the
word(s) are not acceptable or not understood, I will make the change.   If
"remove" is understood worldwide, I will use it, BUT if it is not acceptable I
will change it.  Many "obscene" words are understood by many, but why use them
if you can use a more acceptable substitute.  Everyone has their personal lines
of demarcation.  Ones they do not want others to cross over.  My lines do not
extent into feasts very far, but I do have lines.  :-)

THLady Rayne

The Hon. Lady Maredudd Angharad ferch Gwenhyfar.

(snipped the introduction stuff)