SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad- the mild O...

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 01:09:13 PDT 1999

Master A asks, in refernece to the use of the word "goulash"

<< What's the deal, folks? Any insights? >>

Beyond the fact that it makes me cringe. . .

I grew up with a dish called "Hungarian goulash"  a dish my mother learned
from my Omi (German grandmother).  It is basically beef cut into cubes,
coated in flour, browned, then cooked for a very long time in a thich paprika
broth.  Great stuff, even better once I introduced here to Hungarian paprika.
 :->  I never encountered the hamburger in tomato sauce over elbow macraroni
stuff until I went to college and ran into it at the cafeteria.

Incidentaly, the Hungarian gulyas (pronounced something like gooyas) is a
hearty stew with meat and vegetables seasoned with paprika.  The closest
thing even the European version of "goulash" is the paprikas which is browned
meat in cooked in paprika broth which is thickened with sour cream.

I agree with Master A that in America the word "goulash" tends to be
synonomous with "hash", but am at a complete loss as to how or when this
occured.

Noemi (the Paprikacrat :->)
Outlands