SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad- the mild Oregon version - OOP

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 4 13:56:41 PDT 1999

>Would anyone like to explain their take on the use of the word "goulash"
>in re American cooking as a reference to any of several types of dishes
>_other_ than the Hungarian/Austrian/German family of dishes known by
>that name, all generally meat stews/soups flavored with paprika? For
>example, one of the interesting foodways a friend of mine follows
>includes making "goulash" with elbow macaroni, ground beef and onion in
>a somewhat heavy stock-and/or-tomato-based sauce.

In my family goulash is corn and lima beans.  Actually, we called it "Indian
Goulash".  I can certainly see that combination as being vaguely native
american.   (My Mom is mid-western, my dad Southern.)

>Lady Phlip tells me of a dish similar to the alleged PA goulash found in
>Ohio, John-Something-Whose-Name-Escapes-Me.

"John Marzetti" as mentioned in another post.  Variations on this take up a
page or two in my 1962 "Southern Living Casseroles Cookbook". There was also
a recipe in the St. Philips Epsicopal Church (Durham, NC)ladies guild
cookbook from the 1950's that I passed on to the mother of a friend of mine
who collects such. With that in mind, I'd be inclined to think the recipe
might be generational rather than regional.  Perhaps first appearing in
Ladies Home Journal  or Woman's Day, or the back of the box of macoroni.
Who John Marzetti was is anyone's guess!

I love the old church lady cookbooks.  The one I just mentioned had a dozen
or so recipes for "dunks", which turn out to be "dips" from the pre-sour
cream and onion soup mix era days.  Other such cookbooks call them dips, but
in Durham in the '50's the Episcopalians called them dunks!

Bonne